We had an early start this morning since Stella hadn’t been out since 5 pm yesterday. I can’t get her to go out when they have started with the fireworks. The smell of smoke makes her refuse to step outside the entrance door. I don’t mind being up early. It’s so lovely to walk in the forest and see the sun slowly rise in the horizon – first a purple shade, then it turns pink to end as a light yellow. However after 2½ hour outside in -6 my butt is cold and it’s nice to get inside for a cup of tea. Stella could probably stay out longer. She is so busy studying rabbits, squirrels and birds that are in the park and in the forest she is tracking something.
I watched a DVD yesterday about the snow that fell on 4-7 December 1998. The snow was so very local. Towns about 50 km from Gävle hardly got any snow. We got 1½ m.
Gävle were an isolated city and the only way to get by was on foot, skies, scooter or the military caterpillars that were brought in. The town was so quiet; people talked to each other, selves of fresh food in the stores were empty.
It did bring many memories that I thought that I had forgotten. However it was a situation I hope I never have to experience again.
Looking out today it’s a totally different situation. There are parts that have a thin coat of something white. Pavements and streets covered with ice or are bare. I guess that is one reason to why I really have enjoyed the forest walks this weekend. It feels more like winter there and no ice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy New Year to you, my friend! It is very cold here today, though not quite so cold as Gavle, I suspect.
ReplyDeleteI am sure Stella enjoyed her walk. Barkley was a bit distressed by the firwork noises last night, but he calmed down and slept in our room eventually.