This should normally be a very busy period at work but it’s not. I have since the 1 December only seen 17 patients (compared to normally 24) I wouldn’t say so much I guess it was so that I have now finished all the paperwork I had laying on my desk, done some inventory among the disability equipment we rent, read the magazine I had etc. it’s getting boring and the worst part is that the rest of the month don’t look any better, with one exception: I’m going to have, nearly every day, a evaluation/testing of possible dementia. Those sessions create paperwork and right now I’m happy for that!!
I guess I should try to remember today when I have more than I barging for in a few months time.
And the situation will toughen up. From the first of January a new health care system starts in Sweden, meaning that we all shall have picked a health care centre. The health care centre will get a certain sum of money, based on several things population aged being one. What the politicians have been thinking of here in Gävle I don’t know but basically it is like this that if you are young and in no need of medicinal care you have “top status” aka it’s you everyone want to have listed at the centre since you will bring money and not cost anything. Having said that you might have guessed that even if the same system “rules” over Sweden the containes is different.
My company will continue with the two health care centres they have in Gävle but the economy prognosis isn’t too good. Having said that I mean it’s not that we are going to close but we won’t expand either. Rehab is, for instance, a huge cost factor for them and we are in for some changes. As an OT there isn’t any too way to bring in some extra patient points either, instead we will have to think twice or three times before handing out equipment. We will always put our patients well being first but if it can be done with equipment that cost less but are equally good well than that’s what we have to give them. In Gävle it has for many years been so that the patients have to pay for certain things themselves. We can lend for a short period of three months and then under certain situations. These situations and the length of time have sometimes been floating but during the past year we have already started to “stiffen” things up a little and more is to come. Now everything isn’t as black as it may seem. We have lots of ideas of how we are going to extend the service to the population we serve. We are as prepared as we can get.
I’m more worried about things that I can’t do anything about. For instance has the director for the community heath care centres already declared that her health care centres will be allowed to continue as they are now, and during next year prepare for 2011. Hummm, their economy is really, really bad today. How isn’t it going to be if they don’t do anything? And it’s my tax money they are spending!! How can you compete against someone who continues spending money and give what the patient demands while we have to find solutions to the problem and perhaps suggest something equally good but not what the person wanted?
Competition- you might wonder, well in a way it is as anyone who wants and can full fill the qualifications can start a health care centre, even I. However for there are just so many people to enlist so we have to “compete” and win will be listed patients.
In a way I feel sorry for the staff. I know that we are a much better prepared here as we always have been involved and informed of our economy status and how things are/can be effected if something is done. Also we have been a slim organisation from the beginning. We are prepared and used to work in a high tempo. I still have colleagues in the community health care centres that think that 2 patients/day is OK. The demands on us are not that hard as a fulltime OT should have at least 20 patients/week (the problem now is low “input”). I think they might have a really hard wake up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's interesting to read your observations on changes to your country's health care system in light of what is going on here in the United States to change ours.
ReplyDeleteI know reform is needed, but no one seems able to agree on how best to effect the change.
It seems all we citizens can do is hope for the best.
It sounds as though there is a lot of change on the horizon and it is hard not to worry about the future and how it will all turn out. It is especially difficult when you are so closely concerned in the particular field where the major changes are taking place. One thing that is certain is that you and your colleagues have done all you can to learn about and prepare for the new system and are probably better placed to handle the changes than some less well prepared people.
ReplyDeleteI do see the irony for you that whereas often in the winter you are overwhelmed with patients, this year there are less than usual. It is, as you say, typical! I hope all goes well and that you weather all the changes as best you can, dear friend.